Welcome to Buttercup Corner. Please share your thoughts!


What can we do to promote world peace?
"Go home and love your family."
-Mother Teresa

Tuesday, April 07, 2009

New Beginnings







I find it almost impossible to resist blog post titles that are either cliches or in some way refer to spring! So today we will go with the cliche. But spring is coming too! Maybe. I have been warned by locals not to expect spring anytime before June. That way, I won't be disappointed (but maybe pleasantly surprised.)
The crocuses, at least, are optimistic.
But who needs spring when we have knitting, weaving, spinning, felting and sewing? I have been happily doing all of the above this winter. The thrummed mittens represent my desperate attempt to create something truly warm to put on my hands. They are complete and working well-- just in time for spring! (Maybe)

Now the weaving... I have to admit that weaving does not attract me the way certain other textile arts do, not to name any names. The only thing that even slightly increases my heart rate in regards to weaving is the thought of weaving huge lengths of silk, linen or wool which I could then cut up and sew into gorgeous clothing/ purses. I just can't get all that excited about table runners, placemats and dish towels. However, they have their place, and I am right there where they are-- at the beginner level! Hence my long lovely piece of uncut dish towel. I may not be excessively fond of dish towels, but I really do enjoy getting to choose the colors and pattern for the first time all by myself. Weaving is one of my job perks since the community has a gorgeous room full of looms to practice on while I keep the other weavers (the developmentally disabled adult residents of my community) company. It is one of the highlights of my weeks, to sit in relatively peaceful company and weave!

3 comments:

Saints and Spinners said...

Weaving is on my list of things to learn, as well as drop-spindle and spinning wheel. However, I have found that in general I like working wiht materials that have already been started out for me, i.e. wool felt and cotton prints. However, it does seem that as a storyteller, I should learn some of the skills that crop up in the stories all the time!

I am looking forward to the sunflower doll's arrival, even if she won't be on our nature table for a few months yet. It's time to stratify those seeds...

seaweaver said...

How much fun you've been having! I love the mittens...will they pop up on Ravelry soon? and you're weaving...!!!

Anne said...

I love your mittens!..